Below is a synopsis of infographics and their benefits.
- Infographics are graphic visual representations of information, data or knowledge.
- There are essentially three types of inforgraphic:
- Infographics that rely on data visualisation (below is an infographic OTM created for Adobe
- Infographics that rely on story telling – (another example from OTM) http://visual.ly/ten-top-tips-wealth-and-asset-managers
- Or a mixture of the two
The benefits of infographics are quite substantial:
- They deliver complex information as an easily understandable image
- In modern society we have less and less time, infographics allow us to get information across quickly
- Creating this compelling imagery can help the content to stand out from the overload of messaging we receive in our daily lives
- People only remember about 20% of what they read, Infographics increase reading retention (Report J6 Design)
- Highly sharable 73% of people that have shared a piece of content say they have understood it more thoroughly (New Your Times Study)
- The action of sharing increases brand recall by 63% (Barnum and Sully report 2011)
- Brand reinforcement – The viral nature of infographics can help reinforce your brand in the market place
- Prospect engagement – give you greater reach and something for your RMs to talk about with clients and prospects
- Carefully placed infographics (where others can embed it on their own blogs and sites) can extend your influence
A great video to watch on data visualisation by David McCandless who is one of the pioneers in this space.